Monday, December 5, 2011

py2exe, Windows 7 & Vista

I don't use py2exe very often, but it can be a useful tool for environments that may not have an existing Python installation.

I recently used py2exe on my Windows 7 PC to build a small tasktray tool. The resulting executable ran fine on my PC (doesn't it always?), but threw an exception on any Vista PC it was run on.

File "win32com\__init__.pyo", line 5, in File "win32api.pyo", line 12, in 
File "win32api.pyo", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
After more online searching than I'd like to admit, I found a post that said py2exe may be including W7-specific DLLs, when instead it should be leaving those out, forcing Vista to go find its native builds of those DLLs.

I was able to fix the problem by adding two DLLs to the "dll_excludes" list in my py2exe setup script:
options = {
   "bundle_files": 3,
   "compressed": 1,
   "optimize": 1,
   "excludes": excludes,
   "packages": packages,
   'dll_excludes': [ 'mswsock.dll', 'powrprof.dll' ]
}
The tool now runs on both Vista and Windows 7.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

IF loading time dll missing or The specified module could not be found..Then download direct x run time from Microsoft..

Mam Clipping Path Center said...

Excellent information to many people like to read articles to learn about these issues of great interest.Oups... my blog disappeared from Les Explorers list ; )So many people leave a coment in your blog, For this we can know that your blog is very Wonderful,Cheers for your performance, I hope you continue to post such good articles.
clipping path service provider